Tuesday, November 24, 2009

76 Years Ago Today

Mom & Dad



Hi Everyone,
I hope you are doing well. I am doing good. 76 years ago today they broke the mold when my Dad was born. I may be predigest but aren't we all. I was blessed to have him as a Father, a teacher, a provider and so much more. The more I write on this blog, the more I find myself able to open up easier, remember the past in a better light. Pain always blocked the good that was there. I had an appointment with my counselor today and she agreed with me that I have been having breaking through, shedding years of baggage filled with pain. I am able to feel real happiness like never before. Not that I have not been happy in my life, but it is at a whole new level that I can't explain in words. I am at peace with the past. Letting go is so freeing. I am in such a better place and things have gotten better in time. As I write this I am listening to I'll Remember by Madonna, one of the songs that remind me of him and I am remembering more and more. It is bringing me so much happiness. Even if a tear falls here and there. I remember his wink at me when we would sit in the living room and watch TV, mostly red sox's, yes he made me one of God's most pathetic creatures, a Red Sox fan, I got that from a line in a movie, and I love him for that! I remember how he comforted me every time my mom was sick and the first night my sister moved out when she got married, he took the time to check on me at bed time to make sure I was ok by myself. I remember all the cookouts with big pans of shrimp and lobster and corn. His pool parties with his friends from the Boston Globe as he strung Christmas lights up around the pool and everyone partied hardy until the neighbors called the Police at 4 in the morning. He built that Ice Skating rink in the backyard for all of us kids and the neighbors. I use to dream I was Peggy Flemming in the Olympics out there. He taught me to dream without knowing it. One of my favorite pictures is him in front of his Garden in that hat. He was so proud of it every summer and it was delicious. I remember when he took me to get a car and I turned on the radio to see how high it went he said, "I guess your all set". I am thankful for the beautiful home in the suburbs he bought us, the pool, loved cruising around in the 53 Chevy that stayed in the family for a long time. How he supported my brother Al during his baseball years and all my brothers. Al was a good pitcher and always made the papers, Dad kept every article. I liked it when he brought my grandmother down to watch him play. I always thought she looked like Edith in All in the Family. My father was the first one to tell you too that he was Archie Bunker and I already thought that before he spoke it, so that show will always have a special place in my heart. I use to say to my Grandmother when are you coming to live in the country?? LOL! She lived in Dorchester and that was big city to me. I will always remember most of all that he took care of all of us and his own family when his father passed away when he was only 11. He never asked for sympathy. Sure sometimes it got hard on him and you knew he hurt, but he got right back up the next day and continued on. He loved Children and was a good Grandfather. He is in the pool with Robert his first grandchild below. In the last years of his life he was concerned he may pass away any day having heart disease. So every holiday was special and our last Christmas together was one of the best I can remember. Lots of wonderful food, generous gifts for all us kids. He had a ways through the globe to get those hard to find gifts for the grandchildren. He was able to get the talking Big Bird for Christa and Lauren which was a big thing in 86. He was a great example of a father, a man, a person. When he passed all six of us sat in his room to pick certain sentimental items to keep. I took his dog tags from the Korean War. I remember my brother Al took his cowboy boots. He use to break horses in when he was younger too. I was so touched when I found in his dresser Birthday cards I had bought him and he saved. Inside I always wrote I don't know what we would do without you. I love you. I still have them today and they are more precious than I can say. I can't remember what everyone else took, but it is funny how you know what you need to hold on to. If I had the chance to go back and change anything up until today I would not, it was what has made me the person I am weather or not it was good or bad. So today Dad I hope you and Mom are dancing in Heaven. I know you both have the love and happiness together that was long overdue. Happy Birthday Dad.
Thanks for visiting my blog,
Take Care,
Janet :)








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog