Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hair Update!

 Forgive the pic quality, it's super cloudy outside. 
Here's a shot of my bangs
 3.25 inches until I am waist length which is my final goal

Last week I had to straighten and trim my hair for a shoot. While it was fun to go straight for a change, I didn't really have time to document the way I detangled, blow-dried, trimmed, or pressed my hair [which I will do in the next few weeks]. A lot of people ask me why I trim so much each time I straighten; the reason is that I started my hair journey with a ton of heat damage, and instead of cutting it all off at one time, I cut it gradually. After this final trim, I think I got rid of all the straight ends.

This is the longest my hair has been in my entire life, and I definitely attribute it to limiting the amount of heat used on my hair, and all of the methods/tips/techniques I share on this site. In 2011 I hope to reach my final goal of waist-length. Here's a recap of my hair journey over the past two years. 
My healthy hair journey started December 2008 with this as my starting picture. As you can see, my hair was barely APL [arm pit length]. My hair at this point was very damaged. The front was breaking off [which is why it appeared layered], I had major breakage around the hairline, and nape area as well. My hair was also very thin due to excessive heat. 
These were my braid outs in the very beginning [the first few months December 08-March 09]. I always wore them pinned back because my hair was too thin to wear it full. It always appeared sparse and "piece-y" so I just pinned the sides back. I had about 4-5 inches of heat damaged ends, so my ends were super straight. I had to put rollers on the ends of my braids just to get a slight curl. 
 During this time I maintained a strict Ayurvedic hair regimen
These were my twist outs in August of 09. I was still wearing the sides pinned because my sides were still very short.
At that time, Deva Curl products were my fave. Set it Free made my hair very shiny.
In September of 2009, I decided to straighten it for Labor Day. My hair is styled in a Caruso Roller Set here. 
I trimmed my hair in October 0f 2009 to get rid of about 2 inches of heat damaged hair I was holding on to - I am almost Bra Strap Length here
 After trimming those heat damaged ends, I really experienced a growth spurt; this is my hair in Jan 0f 2010 styled in a twist out
 My hair in June 2010 after trimming another few inches to remove the heat damaged ends I started with. I am slightly past Bra Strap Length here.
In June of 2009, I did another Caruso Roller Set
At the end of July 2010, I decided to cut my bangs for a different look. My hair is styled in a twist out here.
My twist out in August 2010
 In November 2010 I started experimenting with dry twist outs..



Follow MTM on Twitter | Add MTM on Bloglovin'Like MTM on Facebook 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive