Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mini Makeup Haul >> Brown Girls Can Wear Color Too

I picked up a few new colors of eyeshadow after being inspired by the beauty section in the latest issue of Essence [Oct 2010]. Here is the pic for reference:

The model is wearing black eyeliner on her upper lashline and swept a pretty green color along the lower lashline. While I love experimenting with different colors of eyeshadow, I don't always want to wear color on my lids, especially during the day. This look is perfect for those that want a more of a clean natural look, topped off with a bit of color-play for a fun twist. 

NYX - Yellow Pearl [$5.50]  | Stila - Jade [$18.00]  | MAC - Rose Pigment [$19.50]  | MAC - Rubenesque Paint Pot  [$16.50]
I used the following products to create this look:
  • Aqua Eyes Eyeliner Pencil - Hands down the best eyeliner I have ever tried!
  • Jade Eyeshadow - This is a deep highly pigmented green that looks great on fair and darker skin alike. 
  • 219 Pencil Brush - This is an indispensable tool for applying eyeliner near the upper or lower lashline
Tips: To intensify the eyeshadow color for darker skin tones, spray a bit of MAC Fix Plus spray on your makeup brush before picking up the product. 

For more of a fresh-faced look, pick peachy toned or barely there shades of blush [I used Sweet as Cocoa by MAC]. Top it off with brows that are lightly filled in, and swipe a few coats of mascara on your lashes. 
I used the same eyeliner + blush + lipstick, and experimented with Yellow Pearl by NYX! NYX is becoming one of my go-to brands for eyeshadow. They are inexpensive, highly pigmented, and last a long time when used with an eyeshadow base. 
This is a feminine look you can wear during the day or on a casual date! 

This is another look utilizing colored eyeshadow yet still maintaining a natural appearance. The type shadow that I used for this application is a pigment [Rose Pigment by MAC]. It's a concentrated shadow in loose form that can be used to create anything from a natural soft look, to an intense look. 
I actually used an eyeshadow base underneath the pigment [for more dimension] that I absolutely love [also purchased recently]called Rubenesque Paint Pot by MAC. It's the perfect warm colored base to use under shimmery colors without lending a cake-like appearance. 
Tip: Many people ask me if using an eyeshadow base is necessary. For me, it absolutely is if I want eyeshadow's to show up on my skin true-to-color. I avoided colored shadow so long because everything either had an ashy like appearance, or the color was dull and washed out. 

Eyeshadow bases also helps keep your shadow from creasing which is major plus if you wear makeup for extended periods of time.

If you happen to pick up Essence Magazine this month you will find me in the Street Style section of the magazine! 

Here I am right next to my wonder twin Lo!

Follow MTM on Twitter | Add MTM on Bloglovin' Like MTM on Facebook 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive