Thursday, March 18, 2010

DIY Structural Pendent Lamp


I have a really bad habit of not reading directions. I found this super easy tutorial on transforming a basic Melodi lamp from Ikea into a pretty little sculptural lamp, and I completely dropped the ball when it came to following the directions. I was supposed to strategically place the pieces in random areas to make it look more "sculptural", and instead I placed all of the pieces in the same direction.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with the outcome, I just like the way it was supposed to look better. To complete this project, it took a few days, and that was only because I spent a few hours here and there working on it. The longest part of the process was cutting out hundreds of circles. Not bad though, this is a project you can do while watching tv.


I love the concept of using felt to make accent pieces, I may even do some cool topiary's using the same technique. The possibilities are really endless with this, I envision chic wreaths, desk lamp shades, accent pillows, and even taking this concept and using it in weddings.

DIY Structural Pendant Lamp (Adapted from Design*Sponge)
You will need:
40 Sheets of Felt (Although about 2 1/2 yards from a craft/fabric store should suffice, and will also be much cheaper)
Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Melodi Lamp from Ikea (Mine was $12.99, although they had a BIG Melodi Lamp on sale for $4.99)
Scissors
Patience

Use a fabric pen/pencil to draw a circle about 1-2inches in diameter on a piece of felt.

Cut out the circle, and use it as a template to cut HUNDREDS of circles out - Don't worry if your pieces aren't all the same size.

Take a circle & fold it in half. With your hot glue gun, place a line of glue down the center of the crease [the back of the crease, not the front]

Overlap areas so that you can fill in the spaces, and create more of a "fluffy" appearance. That's all there is to it, you can put them in all in one direction like I did, or lay them out randomly like Kate from Design Sponge.

Before
After

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive