Friday, March 12, 2010

Today's Braid Out Is....

 ...not quite what I thought it would be, this is definitely not a look I would write home about. I had high hopes after my last braid out. Don't get me wrong, it's soft and all, but because it lacked so much definition, I knew that by the end of the day I would have a major poof ball. Reluctantly, I pulled it back in a pony before I left this morning. I guess that's what I get for toying with a formula that works.

I was so afraid of frizz, I couldn't finger style it the way I normally like to. So I was left with "piece-y" ends and areas that were see through. No bueno. I like my braid outs defined, full, and with lots of body, all things I really didn't have this morning.

Running your fingers through the hair [using your hands like a comb], is a way to separate the waves so that the braid out looks more natural. I really couldn't do that today.


Instead of using Miss Jessie's CP for braiding, I used Amla & Olive Heavy Cream by Qhemet Biologics. Now don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful product, I just need to stick to what I bought it for; a moisturizer. I am starting to see that my hair reacts much better to things that have a thinner, almost pudding-like consistency versus products that are super thick and creamy.

The only drawback is that most of the products that work well for me ["puddings" or "custards"] have polymers in them [Miss Jessie's has Carbomer - A polymer made from acrylic acid], and while they play a major role in definition, I don't like the residue that polymers tend to leave on the hair [that tacky feeling]. Kinky Curly Curling Custard works well for a lot of folks, however it has Pectin [which is also a polymer, and a byproduct of fruit] in it, so no matter how much I use, I always tend to have some sort of residue on my hair.

I think it is time to dip back in the closet and try to find a home grown substitute for all those polymer laden products I have come to depend on. If I find a subbie, I will definitely share it with you :-)

In other news, I stopped by India Sweets & Spices  to pick up some Henna for this weekend, and a few other goodies :-)

If you haven't tried the spice packets from the Indian grocery stores, you should give it a go at least once! The Chicken Tikka Masala mix is yummy, and so is the Alu Methi (Potatoes w/ Fenugreek). I use the Supreme Henna, Full Full Colour. It was recommended to me by Shreya, one of the Indian women at Pioneer Cash & Carry [my fav Indian store in Artesia, Ca].

I also picked up a few sheets of Henna tattoos, I like to wear them on my hands sometimes, guess I kinda got obsessed with them after wearing them for Halloween last year....They are easy to apply, and come off easily with a little bit of fingernail polish remover. You can use all or part of the tattoo, and you can put it anywhere you like!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive