Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Does Society "Assassinate" Those That Step Outside the Box?



By now I am sure that you have all seen "Window Seat", the new video by Erykah Badu that's causing a stir around the web. I love the symbolism behind the video [or movement], sure it incites controversy [and in all realness she is pushing an album], but beyond that this really speaks to my soul.

As dramatic as it may sound, my character has been assassinated many times for deciding to do things my way, which often times goes against the grain of the role society laid out for me. I have experienced sour looks from my own sistas who scoff at my decision to embrace my natural hair, I have been called a dreamer because I choose to live my life doing things that make me happy instead of following social norms and mores. I, just like Erykah, am tired of the sanctions imposed on me from society, and often times I want to strip myself of social boundaries; and be who I am. Why can't I just be me?

There is  p o w e r in having complete control over who you are, that is why ideologies are created to keep us in check, and to make us fear anything other than what society deems appropriate. Ever wondered why ideologies are created by the dominant members of society? Their unwritten rules, and expectations serve one purpose; conformity. - To all of my brothas and sistas out there that fight to stay true to yourselves [because it is hard], inhale the fresh air, and exhale fear!

I am curious to know your thoughts on this video!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive