Monday, August 16, 2010

DIY: The Ruffled Tee


Every time I see these overpriced shirts in stores I think; "I could do that", so I finally decided to break out some old fabric and get to work. This is definitely an instant gratification type project, as you can complete it from start to finish in about 30 minutes.

You Will Need:
1/4yd Fabric - [jersey works best]
Pins
Scissors
Needle/Thread [doesn't matter the color, you won't see the thread anyway]
T-Shirt - I picked up these tees from Forever 21, and they were only $3.80 a piece!
Sewing Machine [optional]
Fabric Glue [optional]


Cut (8) strips of fabric 10 inches long, and 3 inches wide. You will need about (4) strips of ruffles for each shoulder. - I find it easier to cut using a rotary cutter vs scissors! You can find rotary cutters in your local Michael's or JoAnn's.

Fold each strip in half, and sew a running stitch [long stitch] down the center - You can hand stitch or machine stitch

Pull the bobbin thread [the thread at the end of the strip], to ruche your fabric together, this will create your ruffle

Pin your ruffles on your shirt, and hand stitch them in place [you can also use fabric glue]
Place the ruffles as close together as possible to avoid a skimpy look.
Below is another alternative if the whole "wing look" isn't for you. This time I chose to place the ruffles along the neckline!


Follow me on Twitter | Add me on Bloglovin' |    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive