Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Skin Care | My Skin Care Regimen >> Video


I have a lot of posts on skin care, and many of you have requested I do a video on my actual skin care regimen, so that you can get a better idea of what I do on a day-to-day basis. So here it is! For those of you that are unable to watch the video, here's an outline of what's covered.
A Brief History On My Skin:
I have very oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. The only commercial products that has successfully kept my skin clear and free of blemishes has been Dermalogica brand products [Check this post for more info]. I am no longer using Dermalogica, and have opted for more of a natural regimen which includes Oil Cleansing, Natural Spot Treatments, Facials, & Moisturizers.  
  • Oil Cleansing Removes:
  • Dead Skin Cells
  • Excess Oils
  • Toxins
  • Makeup
My Morning & Night Routine:
  • Apply Oil Cleansing Mixture [60% Castor Oil, 20% Grapeseed Oil, 20% Hazelnut Oil] all over my face, and massage into my skin. This will gently exfoliate, and remove impurities, dead skin, excess oils etc.
  • Place a clean towel under a stream of hot, running water. Lightly wring towel, and drape it over entire face until cool. This opens your pores [and gives you a mini steam treatment] allowing the Castor Oil to draw the toxins out of your skin, while the secondary oils/essential oils permeates deep into the skin, lending it's moisturizing and therapeutic properties. Repeat 2-3 times. Then gently wipe skin of excess oil. 
  • Rinse face with cool water to close the pores
  • Spritz a bit of my homemade Apple Cider Vinegar & Green Tea Toner on my face 
  • Apply a dime-size amount of Grapeseed Oil as my moisturizer. I love this because it's a very light, yet moisturizing oil that also doubles as an astringent. 
  • I do not apply sunscreen because Grapeseed Oil can act as a natural sunscreen [The SPF rating would be about a 4]. It works well for eliminating free radicals, and also has amazing antioxidant properties that promotes the repairing of cells. 
Special Treatments:
Twice Weekly, I prepare an exfoliant using 1tablespoon of raw honey, and one tablespoon of brown sugar;
  • I apply the mixture to my freshly cleaned face, and massage gently for about 3-5 minutes 
  • The exfoliant mixture helps to slough off dead skin cells, brighten dark marks, as well as even out the skin tone while imparting moisture
  • Rinse mixture with warm water to thoroughly remove all traces of honey and sugar
  • Follow up with a cool water rinse
  • Spritz a bit of my homemade Apple Cider Vinegar & Green Tea Toner on my face 
  • Apply Grapeseed Oil as my moisturizer of choice 
Once weekly, I prepare a special detox mask using Bentonite clay and sour cream. Bentonite Clay is wonderful for removing toxins and excess oils, and the sour cream makes a great addition to this mixture as the lactic acid in the sour cream helps fade blemishes, and act as a low grade chemical peel. 
  • To prepare the mixture, add two tablespoons of Bentonite Clay to four tablespoons of sour cream, and mix well.
  • I apply the mixture to my freshly cleaned face, and massage gently for about 2-3 minutes
  • Allow the mixture to dry thoroughly, then wipe clean with a damp cloth
  • Follow up with a cool water rinse to close pores
  • Spritz a bit of my homemade Apple Cider Vinegar & Green Tea Toner on my face 
  • Apply Grapeseed Oil as my moisturizer of choice 
Supplements, and Dietary Regimen:
  • Every morning, I have a bowl of yogurt with 2 tablespoons each of Wheat Germ & Ground Flax Seeds. Flax Seeds contain a high amount of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids which are essential in the role of maintaining healthy skin/hair as well as preventing and/or clearing up skin disorders such as Psoriasis, Acne, and Eczema. Wheat Germ is also beneficial for clearing skin disorders, and is also rich in antioxidants.
  • I also take two tablespoons of Cod Liver Oil daily! One tablespoon in the morning after breakfast, and one tablespoon in the evening after dinner. The Cod Liver oil works wonders for clearing the skin, giving it a bright, and youthful glow.  The abundance of fatty acids found in Cod Liver Oil reduces inflammation, and also improves the structure of skin cells. The Vitamin A in Cod Liver Oil is the main component in helping correct and prevent future skin disorders. And finally, the Vitamin E oil acts as a natural antioxidant, and protects the skin from UV damage. 
Where to get the ingredients mentioned in this post. For your convenience, I have hyperlinked online sources as well:
  • Grapeseed Oil - Your local grocery store [I find that Grapeseed Oil is cheaper in most ethnic grocery stores]
  • Castor Oil - Can be found in the first aid sections of most drug stores
  • Hazelnut Oil - Is located in the cooking isle of most health food stores [tip: if it isn't in the cooking isle, try the cosmetic isle]
  • Bentonite Clay - Is located in the cosmetic section of most health food stores. The most popular brand [in health food stores] is Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. 
  • Organic Raw Honey - Can be found in most health food stores  
  • Cod Liver Oil - Is located in the pharmacy department of most drug stores, and in the vitamin section of most health food stores   

Follow me on Twitter | Add me on Bloglovin' |   

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive