Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Night Time Routine: What's Yours?


One of the top ten questions I receive is: What do you do to your hair at night? The answer is: It depends on how I am wearing my hair!


If I am wearing more of a wavy-bouffant-like twist out like the one pictured above I do the following:
- Lightly spritz hair with Oyin's Juices & Berries
- Stuff all hair under a satin bonnet
- Fluff hair in the morning, and finger style

This will usually last about 3-4 days before I need to re-twist it to refresh the curl pattern. When I refresh the curl pattern, I do the following:
- Lightly spritz hair with water until damp [doesn't have to be soaking wet]
- Apply some type of butter-based product; my product of choice is Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream [I don't like to pack on more gel-like products when I am re-twisting, as it always turns out stiff]
- Make about 10-12 twists [make sure they are as tight as possible]
- Stuff twists under a satin bonnet
- Untwist in the morning, fluff and finger-style
- I normally wear this style for about a week before it needs to be shampooed
Tip: Because the hair wasn't saturated with water, the curls/waves may not be AS defined as they were the first few days; if you would like more of a defined curl, sit under a hard bonnet dryer for about 30 minutes after re-twisting.


If I am wearing more of a defined twist out, and I want to keep it defined; this is my nightly routine:
- Lightly spritz hair with rose water
- Re-twist hair in sections about an inch wide [I keep the sections smaller for more curl definition]
- Saturate the ends of twists with water [this helps keep the ends curled], then seal with oil [this helps seal in moisture, and helps prevents single strand knots + splits]
- Sleep on silk pillowcase [When my twists are smaller, I like to use a silk pillowcase versus stuffing the twist under a bonnet. For some reason, it turns out better this way.
- Untwist in the morning, fluff, and finger style
Tip: To keep this style as fresh as possible; limit your use of butter-based products AND gels. As you can see, for this particular style I only use water [to refresh and moisturize], and oil [to seal in moisture and keep ends healthy]. With this routine, I can usually go a good two weeks before having to shampoo again!
Why Do I Use Rose Water? Simple; it makes my hair uber soft! I usually get Rose Water cheap from my local Indian Grocery Store.

Here are some of my product recommendations:
To Lightly Moisturize Hair:
Oyin's Juices & Berries
Carol's Daughter Tui Leave-In
Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave-In

My Favorite Butter-Based Moisturizers:
Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream [suitable for thick, coarse, hair that tends to be on the drier side]
Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream [thinner than Amla & Olive, perfect for those with finer hair]
Oyin's Whipped Pudding [thin enough for fine-haired curlies, moisturizing enough for coarse-haired curlies]

My Favorite Night Time Tools:
Satin Bonnet
Silk Pillowcase
Spray Bottle [for water]
Rose Water

What's your night time routine?

Follow me on Twitter | Add me on Bloglovin' |    

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive