Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Love Being Black + My Fav Models of The Moment


I was reading an article in a magazine yesterday, and I was astonished to learn that black women spend 80% more money on cosmetics, and 2x more for skin care versus the "general market". Interesting right? - Yet it wouldn't be so disheartening if beautiful black women weren't so severely underrepresented in fashion/beauty, and just about every other aspect of media.

I truly wonder, are they intimidated by our beauty? After-all, the "All Black" cover of Vogue sold out in less than 72 hours in the US [and the UK]. What does that tell you? Either people thought that issue was a hot commodity, or people really were interested in looking at gorgeous, black women!

For years we have been made to feel inferior about our lips, our hips, our hair, our bums. But alas, now you have women getting "butt injections", botox in their lips, permanents to emulate curly hair, and don't forget those Booty Pop Panties. I'm not buying that we aren't marketable. And let me say there is more to black women than our lips, hips, and backsides; have you read Phenomenal Woman lately? Checked out pictures of Eartha Kitt? Or peeped that picture of Harriet Tubman holding that shot gun? Black women got soul, swag, and have had it since sliced bread.

So yes, there are tons of images on the web. But I choose to display images of black women. Why? Simply put; I love being black. - Here are a few of my fav models of the moment.


Rachael Williams
Victoria Wacouboue
Mabintou Ceesay

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive