Thursday, April 15, 2010

You Asked; I Answered | The Henna Edition

I wanted to have a post dedicated to your questions on the Henna vid I posted yesterday! I know a lot of people out there are very leery when it comes to Henna, and they just don't know where to start. So I am going to answer all of the questions I received in the comments yesterday! If there are follow-up questions; please also leave those in the comments, and I will continue to address them as best I can :-)

Q: Great video, dont think anyone ever really does a written and visual explanation. Thank u for that. Do you apply the indigo the same way??

A: The application technique is similar, however I don't have to let the Indigo sit out for 24hours. Unlike Henna, Indigo has rapid color release, and can be used immediately.  I also don't add conditioner to my Indigo mix, just Rosewater. My Indigo will be here shortly, and I will have another tut up on the Henna + Indigo process very soon.


Q: Nice tutorial!!! where do you purchase your henna from? I need to try this one day... Thank you 

A: I purchase my Henna locally from Pioneer Cash & Carry in Artesia Ca [known as Little India] - You can find Henna at your local Indian Grocer [google them in your area].

Q: Great tutorial! 2 questions: what is the difference between body quality and other types of henna? is the henna gloss you use cassia? if not, does cassia provide similar benefits?

A: It is purported that Henna that is NOT Body Art Quality has PPD and compound chemicals [salts, or additional dyes] that can be potentially damaging to your hair [especially if you are relaxed]. BAQ Henna is also said to rinse out much easier over other "types" of Henna sold on the market. 

The Henna Gloss I use is not Cassia. as I understand Cassia imparts shine, and does offer some strengthening benefits however the results do not last as long as they do with Henna, the results aren't as prominent, and it needs to be done more frequently. Also, Cassia does not leave color deposits on your hair like Henna does, so that is also another big difference. 

Q: I know nothing about henna so i really appreciate this post!
*was your hair clean before applying the henna or is it just week old hair?
*Does it matter whether your hair is clean or dirty before applying henna?
*I really like the benefits but I dont want the reddish color I prefer my hair to stay the way it is which is black..does your method prevent the color release? if not what do you suggest?
 

A:  My hair was dirty-ole week old hair :-)

When I am doing just a Henna Gloss, I apply it on dirty hair. When I am doing a Henna Gloss +  Indigo Treatment, I apply the mixture to clean hair [Indigo does fade after "x" number of washes, so I don't like washing my hair immediately after applying the mixture] 

If your hair is black, you MAY NOT notice any of the reddish color. If you prefer to stay on the safe side, you can either use Cassia instead of Henna; OR, you can add 1/4 cup of Amla to your mix, and apply the Henna immediately after mixing [this way you are applying it before the Lawson molecule's release]  

More questions? Ask away!  Please don't be timid, I would much rather you feel confident about your first Henna experience, so that you get the best out of it! :-) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive