Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fitness Quicktip: Consume Protein After a Workout

 [I love the cover of this mag; source: black fashion]

Some people call your "post recovery meal" one of the most important meals of the day. I remember the days I would finish my weight traning, drink a liter of water, scoff at the gym rats drinking protein shakes, and head for the hills. I will admit, protein got a very bad rap with me because I had the assumption that I would "bulk up" if I regularly ate protein bars, or drank protein shakes. However,  I learned shortly thereafter that protein intake is essential in helping to repair the muscles [protein synthesis] used during workout sessions.

Studies show that your body is most receptive to vitamins and nutrients during the 45 minute period after your workout. The type of protein is also important, you should be looking for a mix of casein and whey protein. Out of those two types of protein, whey is absorbed faster, while casein is primarily used to regulate amino acid release.


I normally drink Chocolate Milk [Horizon Nonfat Chocolate Milk] after my weight training regimen [which was suggested by my trainer], not any old chocolate milk; but one that is low in fat, carbs, and sugar. Chocolate milk consists of 80% whey protein and 20% casein. This is the perfect post-recovery drink for people like myself that can't stomach the taste of protein shakes/bars [and is also cheaper. hell-lo]. Remember if you choose to go this route, be sure to check the fat and sugar content before buying that gallon of chocolate milk :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Search This Blog

Blog Archive